Wednesday, August 23, 2006

overnighter ...

Pure Beauty. Houston Butterfly house. Click on the image to enlarge and enjoy even more detail.

Well, I did not go to yesterdays appt. expecting to stay till this morning. But GOD has positioned me through time and experience to stand ready for just about anything. That is how life is. I also believe that is why is it better to live the 'one day at a time sweet Jesus' philosophy. Jesus said, "don't worry about tomorow,
for tomorrow will worry about its own things.
Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."
(KJV - Matthew 6:34).
Robin pretty much summarized what happened with the insurance yesterday. One good thing is that since I had no idea about my reaction to these three new drugs, I was in the right place if something were to have happened. Personally, I felt like it was a waste of a room for someone who would need it worse than me. I slept like a log after they gave me the 4x cocktail (twice). I also got a chance to visit with some of my good friends at CVT - they dropped in after hours to say hey which I greatly appreciate. They really supported me during my first few days of my stay at OLOL when all of this started with the ERCP procedures and PTCA liver drain. They made the road alot smoother.
The Lord gave me some good reading material to keep me in the Spirit during the wait. You may have seen these little booklets before called 'Our Daily Bread'. It has short daily devotionals which help keep the mind focused. The booklets are scattered throughout the waiting area. There are alot of distractions out there - even good ones - that keep us away from what is best.
Continue to be in prayer for Wil Howell's dad. He has had a reccurence of cancer, went to M.D. Anderson and I believe has started treatment, but will be returning home for further treatment. Like the rest of us, he needs to hang on the Cross of Christ for his deliverence in all areas during this time of trial.
My new regimen is little more complex. I'll be taking 4 different drugs over 3 weeks, which is called 'a cycle'. The first Monday I go to Mary Bird for IV infusion of AVASTIN, TAXOTERE and GEMZAR. I have been on Gemzar before. I'll be taking Xeloda(pills) every morning and evening for 2 weeks. The 2nd Monday, Ill take the Gemzar and Taxotere but no Avastin. The 3rd week I will be off of all drugs - except for the digestive enyzmes and portonix which are taken everyday. The week off is considered a part of the 3 weeks cycle. Then, the next Monday it all starts over again for, I'm guessing, maybe 3 months. These drugs are simple in their mission and yet so miraculous.
Pause for station break .........
This post was delayed for 20 minutes while cleaning crews were called in ....
Oh no. You know what I was just hearing? It sounded like water running on the kitchen floor. I turned around and there is my cute little Kenny(dog) with his leg lifted high, just letting it rip - all over the corner of the trash can draining down onto the floor! "Whoa, stop it! I yelled". He immediately headed for his kennel, but he couldn't get the door open fast enough. I brought him back to the place of this terrible offense and stuck his little nose it and then scolded him (since he should know better). Then he was returned to his kennel. Little did he know that only days before I had hand scrubbed this same trash can - inside and out. Can you remember the last time you cleaned your kitchen trash can? Me neither. So I then cleaned up the mess, putting the mess into the trash liner to take outside. I put it in the can since the garbage goes to the street tonight thinking ''problem contained".
Well, I got side tracked for just a second and noticed some water puddled on some black plastic sheeting I have around the base of my tomato garden near the deck - it keeps down weeds. I figured I would dump it off and let it dry out - being the responsible citizen of these here United States, 'in order to form a more perfect union', and to prevent the potential spread of the West Nile virus to those in my community. After having done a satifactory job, I began to smell the foul nemesis of every person who has ever worked in the yard. You guessed it - the putrescent fragrance of poop began to fill the air - and - the sole of my shoe! So Kenny got me back already for that scolding. At this point I am really beginning to feel like 'inspecter Clouseau' from the Pink Panther movies. Now I get the privilege of cleaning my shoes. Well, as 1 Corinthians says in Chapter 13 " love is patient, love is kind ....it is not provoked, it does not take into account a wrong suffered... bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails. (my paraphrase) This is just another test for me. An easy one at that, but never the less, a test. I still love my dog, now we just have a better understanding of each other. It's kind of like being married and having children, minus the trash can episode. Over time you better understand each other. The good and the bad can draw you closer together if you let it.
I have gone beyond my self imposed limit by now. Talk to ya'll later. Hebrews 4:12-16.

4 comments:

Carole Turner said...

Love it George, I absolutley Love it!! I Laughed OUT LOUD twice!!

Our dog Cleo is in our house 24/7- great dog but if we go out of town and leave her with other people, when we come back and bring her home, she pees in the hall! It's like she is telling she did not apprecitate being left with others. She also will do that while she is "cycleing" she doesn't want to go outside to the potential mates so she will pee in the hall! But at least we understand that about her.

ok, on a serious note, is this med combo supposed to get that spot on your liver? Do they feel good about this treatment that it will do the trick?

My mom reads your blog everyday, just wanted you to know that.

Monday, September 4th is Labor Day, ya'll want to get together then?

agardana said...

Hey, can I make plans here, too. I can't seem to get to the phone at times you guys can answer it. We are free Monday too Carole, hint hint....

Sonja said...

George, just wanted to let you know Wil's dad will be staying in Houston for his treatments as of today. He starts his treatments tomarrow and will stay for approx. a month or however long it takes. He told Wil he feels safer there!

Jonah is not "getting" the #2 on the potty part too well, I found the "yukies" on the floor in his room, on his foot and all over the curtains! Today!, soooo I know how that feels. Yuk stuff to clean up!

Good to see you and Robin at church tonight....wanted to talk but you guys looked wrapped up in other conversations so didn't want to interupt....the Lord's love was obvious in service tonight.

I love the flower and your sence of humor, truly George you have a gift.

We continue to pray everyday for you!

The Howell's

worshiping warriors said...

Oh my can we relate to your dog pee episode. A few nights ago, I was sound asleep and all of a sudden I hear the sound like a water hose on the floor. I jumped up like I was shot out of a cannon yelling like a banchee for Keith. Then he shot up like a wild man yelling "HUH? WHAT?" thinking the house was on fire, or we were being robbed.... It was our 75 pound German Shepherd "puppy", Zeke, relieving himself, all over our bedroom, on my shoes, jacket (which shouldn't have been on the floor in the first place-oops!). He made quite a lovely pattern across the entire floor. He had surgery a few months ago on his hip so he can't do the leg lift thing. Just twirled it quite artisticly from one end of the room to the other, letting it really rip (which is what I heard) once he got by the back door. (Kind of looked like a paisley pattern with a curly-q twirl thrown in for good measure). Couldn't beat him either with his funky hip... Oh well. Life with dogs. Nothing like it! Couldn't live without them though. Anyhow, was great to see ya'll at church tonight. Awesome service! Ya'll are in our prayers. Kayla