Saturday, September 09, 2006

Port is in ...

All is well. The procedure started this morning about 7:30 a.m. and I was home by 1 or 2 pm today. I was able to eat lunch and supper. The site is located in the upper right chest. The line itself is visible under the skin crossing over the clavicle, leading to the internal jugular vein. This location is the most ideal as far as limited complications are concerned. I believe I am one of the first recipients of this name brand port. I stand to be corrected if I am wrong. I am pleased with my experience at the hospital, including nurses and surgeon. I am thankful for God’s hand in all of this along with so much encouragement and prayerful support from friends and family. My buddies from CVT Vascular lab came by before and after to visit. They had to kick me out of my room and make me go home – I was talking too much. Blame it on the sedation. The site is sore but tolerable so far, and I don’t know how I am going to get the betadine solution stains off of my skin. Any home brew remedies ladies? No, I am not going to try finger nail polish remover.
Mom and dad did the driving and waiting. Bob and Gladys came by after taking big boy to school for me. We got home and ate lunch. Mom and I started watering the fruit trees since they are showing signs of drought. I figure about 20 to 30 minutes per tree at full flow is enough to do the job. Just set the timer and go back inside. She won’t let me do anything just yet because of the port.
My second 3 week cycle starts this coming Tuesday. We have backed off of the Xeloda pills until the Dr. sees me Tuesday. This will be the first time we get to use the new port.
I guess after all this is done and they take the port out you could consider me “deported”.
(You can laugh now).
I feel so alive today it is surprising even me. I don’t know if it is the meds I was given, the Dr.Pepper (1can) and Coke (1/2 can) I drank after the procedure, all of the prayer support directed at me today – or all of it combined - I just know I felt more “alive” today than I have in weeks. I cannot define what I mean by alive other than just alive.
I was very inspired also by all of the medical stuff involved, too. It just makes you want to be the best you can be at whatever you do.
It is time to hit the hay and see how it is to sleep with this thing. Thank God for His mercy and grace.
God Bless and have a great weekend.
George.

7 comments:

Carole Turner said...

Glad all is well.

Anonymous said...

George,

God continues to answer prayers. Praise Him for His faithfulness in EVERY circumstance and situation! "He that dwelleth in the Secret place of the Most High, abides in the shadow of the Almighty". You and your family are most definately in the "Shadow of the Almighty"! Glad all went well bro. Call if you need us.

Bill, Cathy and kids

Anonymous said...

Who ever said you talk too much! Great seeing you. You are continuously in my prayers.

Mimi

Sonja said...

Thank you George for being,well, YOU!!!!
You did make me laugh! I needed it too!

SH

Anonymous said...

HEY GEORGE,

GLAD TO HEAR THAT EVERYTHING WENT WELL WITH YOUR IM-PORT-ATION, NOW I GUESS YOU WANT TO SAY YOU ARE AN ALIEN. ZULY THOUGHT THE "DEPORTED" WAS FUNNY. I DON'T KNOW HOW YOU DID WITH THE 1ST NIGHT HAVING THE PORT, BUT THE FEW PEOPLE I HAVE SPOKE WITH ABOUT IT, SAY THAT THEY REALLY DON'T EVEN KNOW THAT IT IS THERE. HOPE THIS WAS TRUE FOR YOU. WELL KEEP ON KEEPING ON. HOPE TO SEE YOU SOON.
GOD BLESS.


PAUL

Anonymous said...

Georgie,
GREAT "re-port", my friend. I am grateful to our merciful Lord for causing the procedure to go so well. I realize that that "port" is "port-able" and yet may get under your skin at times (oh, yeah, it IS under your skin ALL the time) but put up with it in this "im-port-ant" time in your journey. Just know that we all "sup-port" you with great love,affection and giddiness.
Russell (writing from my "car-port")

Sonja said...

Hilarious Russell!!!!
George....here's your Rain!!! Healing Rain's coming too!!!!!
We HAVE to BELIEVE that!!!

"STANDING" IN PRAYER BROTHER!!!!!

SH