Sunday, December 17, 2006

The Great hunt . . .




Well, here are two of the great hunters . . . or should I say "snipers". In a stand, you are kind of like a sniper, waiting for the deer to show themselves. For those of you who have never been hunting using a box stand or blind, it's kind of like stepping into your closet and sitting on a chair for about 4 hours - and just waiting... and waiting ... and waiting. Patience is most definitely a virtue in this game. No heavy lifting required other than standing up every once and a while to stretch. Since it was not really cold it was more enjoyable. I used the time to catch up on some prayer/intercession - but you still have to be watching your area for movement and listening for anything that even sounds remotely similar to a deer walking or running. The squirrels were driving me nuts (no pun intended) scampering around, making all kinds of racket. I did see one rabbit and also a large Owl came out of no where and attacked something on the ground about 40 yards to the North East (hunter talk) of me and then took off again. It is amazing what goes on all around you in the woods when they don't know you are there.
This year has been kind of slow, as far as the numbers of deer taken that is, according to Keith and the guys at the camp. My brother also says he has been experiencing the same over where he hunts in Mississippi. The weather has been warm, which may be partly responsible. Otherwise, the weather was absolutely beautiful, as was the scenery. The fellowship was also alot of fun. Keith and I shared a stand in the morning and then that afternoon we split up and covered different areas. The picture next to mine is the view out of one of the windows of the above ground stand. We finally did see some deer . . . off the side of the road on the way home! Well, better luck next time. A good time was had by all.

Tomorrow is visit the dentist day. I have to get the permanent crown put on. The drilling doesn't bother me that much, but I can see why people get a little freaked out about it - the sound does resonate in your head a good bit. Maybe this one will last longer than the previous one.

The kids are off for two weeks. Christmas is how many days away? I did get some more shopping done - I find that I have to walk around the stores and get inspired by what I see for most gifts. The ideas just don't flow freely all of the time. It wears me out.

Life happens. Whether it goes in your favor or not is not always your prerogative. We didn't ask for the storms to hit last year, but two did hit. Where was God? Right there where He has always been. Now, what we do with what happens is more our choice. We have to choose to believe God has our best interest in mind - and what is in our best interest is to glorify God in all things. The Apostle Paul put it best in Philippians 4:11-13,
11 I am not saying this because I am in need,
for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.
12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.
I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation,
whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.
13 I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

This is going to be a busy week for all of us and I am sure for you too. Ask the Lord to guide your steps so that you may get everything done. Here is another George original.
Don't let the stress of the Season make a mess of the Season.
And how does one do this? By remembering the "reason" for the Sseason.
Have great week. George.

P.S. The picture on the last post is an upside down shot of the pond reflecting the
trees.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

George,

I enjoyed your comments. My wonderful Brother-in-Law extended me the same privilage last year however, it was alot cooler and the deer we're practically climbing into the stand with us. I couldn't help but remember the reluctance I had in shooting any of the many doe's we had seen during the 3 day period (No bucks appeared). The final day, at the end of the day, out stepped a Bobcat,...I was all to happy to shoot the predator. (There is a spiritual lesson in this somewhere). Regardless, the final talley of my hunt was 0 Deer and 1 predator. Result= No deer meat for the Icenogle household. Ha. Still, I was significantly pleased with the hunting trip and in experiencing the same wonders you had. The Lord is an awesome artist!

Love ya bro.