Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Snake in the grass, birds in the nest . . .





I found a few interesting things today while walking around the property.
My in laws have a bird nest – some type of Wren I think – right on their carport 5 feet from the door on a shelf. There are two chicks hatched and feathered and three eggs yet to hatch. Then on the way back to my house, I found a dead snake on the ground. It was black on the back with a red checkered pattern on the belly. I do not recall ever seeing one like this so I am going to Google it and see what pops up. Also, check out the tassels on the Pecan tree branch. Pecans are on the way.

I planted a few more rows of snap beans (aka 'green beans') before lunch since the others did not sprout. This was possibly due to the cold spells we had a few weeks ago along with a lot of rain at the same time. Cold and wet is not good. That is the trick in trying to plant early enough but not too early. I have heard that the time to plant is on or after Good Friday. I was a little early. Also, that once the leaves begin to appear on the Pecan trees that the danger of a freeze has passed. Just about everything else planted is doing fine. I even have tomatoes on the vine.

After lunch, the old funk kicked in again till about 6 pm. I had to get in the bed and curl up till it passed. (Don't tell Robin, but I borrowed her big round snuggling pillow). Tomorrow is a doctor's appt. so hopefully we can figure out the source of the symptoms.
Bryan had a game last night and his team won, 12 to 2. Tonight they had another game and they lost, 12 to 1. That is an interesting turn of events.
I had an unusual but pleasant visit this evening. My brother in law had some people from a Church they had visited a few weeks back, come by to visit with him and his family. I guess that is a part of the Churches ministry to visit those who have visited. Would that be called a “re-visit”? Well, since no one was home but me, we started talking and one thing led to another and they wound up praying for me for a healing. How about that divine appointment? I did not know these folks, but by the time they left I felt like I had known them for years. There was a young guy with them who is a 20 year old Engineering student at LSU. . Now that was impressive to me. How many 20 year old kids do you know who are motivated enough to take time during the week to share the Gospel? Thank God for that. Give us more kids like him.

During service Sunday morning, I read a footnote on Romans 8:36 As it is written: "For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered." No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.

The footnote says, “Difficulties are not necessarily obstacles for God’s children, but His appointed way”. I found that comment very interesting. Difficulties are God’s appointed way……Hmmm … I do not believe that constant difficulties are what the writer is referring to, but as believers desiring to live by a higher standard (which also makes us a target) we get our share and then some – some may even be ‘self inflicted’ by virtue of ignorance or disobedience to the expressed will of God. It takes some of us years to learn and re-learn and then others of us learn very quickly. I remember my Mother telling me this as a young child, “If you would just listen, you would never get a spanking”. That registered with me and I started listening more and running from a switch less.

Romans 8:36 is preceded by Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose”. “All things” include the “difficulties” mentioned in the footnote. And His “appointed way” is that no matter what the difficulty is, He is working out things in us and through us – to change us (our heart and character) to look more like His image instead of our own. Even if that involves things we would otherwise deem undesirable. "Why can’t we get it the easy way" I ask myself. Because most of us would not “get it”, if “it” was a one time easy thing. Difficulties are the equivalent of going to the gym and working out, remember the old saying, "no pain, no gain"? You know you are going to finish in the gym and go home, but the only way to get the desired results is to finish - get through - the workout. But the reassuring thing is this, that in the midst of whatever is happening, we know that He is with us. As a result, we can maintain our confidence and faith (in Him) through thick and thin.

Romans 8:35 "Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?"

Romans 8:38 - 39 "For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."
Joshua 1:9"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."
Those are some powerful scriptures for us to draw strength from. Tomorrow, let's put them into action. George.





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning,George...
I just read something interesting this morning that goes along with your Joshua verse about God being with you wherever you go. It says that just as the ark of the covenant housed the presence of the Lord in the Old Testament...that now the power of Almighty God is now "housed" in us as believers! This article said...we are carriers of the Presence of Almighty God wherever we go! So with that in mind...may the Lord's life giving Presence,the Prince of Peace, the Wonderful Counselor,the Everlasting Father,Almighty God...Savior,Healer,Delliver,and Friend of all Friends go with you to the Dr. today and wherever else you go!
Standing with ya'll...
Cathy and Bill

Sonja said...

funny, Wil found a snake in our yard too yesturday....not sure what kind, I think a gardner (sp?) snake, he said it was about 4foot long! Haven't seen a snake out here in about 3 years believe it or not!

Speaking of workouts....I have been working out with weights lately and this morning I woke up with pain in my joints by the knee area...not sure if it's lack of vitamin or just muscles working their change!!! Hopefully just muscles getting stronger! Any suggestions on a vitamin for joints??

How is the garden coming? Our sunflowers are getting big,but no sign of the actual flower yet...soon....tomatoes are growing too, but not yet harvesting...so we are just waiting!!!

Not sure what time you appt. was but I will pray for you today anyways!!! Nothing like a good day of communication with the Lord, our Father who loves us abundantly!!!

P.S. Interresting that the snake was dead!!! ofcourse you know me I could seriously look at that whole thing in the spirit!!! I'll withhold for the sake of other who want to comment! I'm never a loss for words when I am typing! I guess you know that already!!!

Have an incredibly, awesome day today George!!!!

Sonja

Anonymous said...

Hi George, I clicked on the comments to see if someone had identified your snake...wish Bruce was here (he's at work) because he would most likely have it tagged! I love your bitties! It's exciting to know you are involved in so much of God's creatures and creations and so connected to nature--I believe that comes very close to His heart! I just believe that your hands are in the right places, actually serving Him in a way that we rarely consider something that would bless our Father! I'm thinking this has a lot to do with your peace and prosperity as you walk "this walk" with Him! May His love continue to surround, cover, and uphold you at all times, even as you are showing His love on his creation & creatures!
By the way, have you considered, or maybe are partaking of the "Table of Shewbread" the Communion on a daily basis? If not, may I encourage you to do that and make it a time of Practicing His Presence? That and the offering of "Incense"/prayer, praise and worship is another "dear to His heart" practice!
Love and Blessings,
Betty & Bruce

worshiping warriors said...

Guess what?! We had a snake in our yard yesterday too! I'm with Sonja... could there be a spiritual significance to all this? We never identified ours either. It was BIG! Keith wasn't sure if it was a cotton mouth or something harmless... To be safe he killed it... Chopped off it's head with a hatchet! (I like that spiritual picture too!)

Thanks for the scriptures... those encouraged me today! Isn't God just awesome?

Anonymous said...

Hey George,
Danny said that you found a "Mud Snake" - common name. The cajun people call it an "ospick" (sp?). They are harmless, but usually live by water. He says they get up to seven feet long. They eat fish, frogs, rats, and mice, etc. Danny said it's been so dry that it was probably looking for water.
The cajun folklore is that they have a "sticker" in their tails. Another tale is that they can roll themselves into a hoop and roll down hills. (They must roll down levees . . . . LOL!)
Anyway, my favorite snake is a speckled king snake - totally cool.
Enjoy your "nature observations!"
~Judith and Danny