Friday, April 20, 2007

The surprise pics . . .

Here they are, new additions to the "farm". I bought 10 'bitties' (baby chickens)a few days ago. I just could not pass them up this time like I have been over the past year.
(If you left click on the pictures, it enlarges and you can really see how cute these stinkers are!)

There are ten chicks, four different types: 3 Rhode Island Reds, 3 Golden sex-link, 2 Black sex-link and 2 Barred Rocks (which are also black). ‘Sex-link’ means that the chick is a result of a cross between two different breeds which results in coloring / feathering at birth which helps distinguish between male/female. From what I have read, this is more cost effective for the hatchery and results in a good pullet (which is a young hen). These are to be laying hens, not for the cooking pot. They are so cute and very entertaining to watch.

And not to forget ole’ Rocky – that’s him ‘chowing down’ on the dropper. I noticed his left eye was open when I fed him this morning and then by lunch time his right eye was open. I took him outside and showed him around the yard a bit and even pointed out the big tree he fell out of. I don’t think he really cares; he is more concerned about sleeping and eating right now.

I repaired Thumpers cage (the adult mail rabbit) and also finished separating the males/female bunny babies since they are no longer babies. I thought I had done a good job and was explaining everything I had done to Robin as we strolled along the 'farm' in the cool of the evening, then Robin pointed out to me that in one of the cages one bunny was feverishly chasing another one around the cage – guess what – I re-checked the one doing the chasing and sure enough he was a male. But before I could get my gloves on to remove the one doing the chasing, the one being chased was standing straight up on her hind legs in the corner, stretched out so as to prevent any "action" by the 'chaser' upon the 'chasee' (if you know what I mean). They are too young for that right now - but you never know. So, now I think they are all properly separated. I have 4 males and 11 females now -including the adults. [We are planning on 'thinning' those numbers soon. If anyone knows of someone who may be interested in rabbits - these are almost 4 months old, born January 9th and 13th, 2007 - for breeding stock or for pets, these are New Zealand White (father) crossed with a California Giant (doe) - just e-mail or call me].

That was enough to 'do me in' for the day. Much better day than yesterday, thank God. Everybody got home early and we had a nice evening together. We kind of "ate our way around the World" in one meal - as for me, I had a P.B.J. - the first in probably at least 6 months, then a little fried rice, 1 egg role and then a 'Gourmet' hotdog no dog buns, so a whole wheat hamburger bun had to do). The key is not eating too late or too much. Afterwards, me and Lauren played a few tunes together on our guitars. She has several beautiful worship songs she has writtten. We sang a worship song together (well, 3/4's of us did since big boy was out like a light) and closed in prayer. As far as I am concerned, almost a perfect evening.

Psalm 127:3-5
3 Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD:
and the fruit of the womb is his reward.
4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man;
so are children of the youth.
5 Happy is the man that hath his quiver
full of them: they shall not be ashamed,
but they shall speak with (subdue) the enemies in the gate.
Psalm 128:1-4
1 Blessed is every one that feareth the LORD; that walketh in his ways.
2 For thou shalt eat the labour of thine hands:
happy shalt thou be, and it shall be well with thee.
3 Thy wife shall be as a fruitful vine by the sides of thine house:
thy children like olive plants round about thy table.
4 Behold, that thus shall the man be blessed that feareth the LORD.

Time for hitting the sack. George.


1 comment:

Ruth said...

Ah, George, your yard is looking like Josh and my daughter would LIKE ours to look like. They keep pestering me for chickens and/or a goat. I keep refusing... They sure are cute, though. Have fun with your chicks!!

Ruth Burton