Wednesday, March 07, 2007

The Race . . .

No word yet from the doctor about the Hospital stuff. I’ve called and left a message so we are in “stand by mode”. I feel like I am in the military with the ‘hurry up and wait”.

Today is another beautiful day weather wise and hopefully for you all otherwise.
I watched some of the Hosanna kids yesterday training for a track meet – boy does that bring back memories. My only main recommendation to anyone attending or participating in a track practice or track meet – please identify and know where the Javelin throwers are and in what general direction they are throwing. At this skill level, not too many of these guys are in full control of their javelin yet. I personally have set many a persons to flight who were down field from me when I was throwing the javelin in High School. It is dangerous, but it was funny at the time to watch them running.
Pole Vaulting is another thing they were practicing. I think the world record is about 20 feet high. That is huge. It is kind of crazy when you think about it, but at least they have pads to fall on. I am hoping that Bryan will use that strong arm of his and his physical size to possibly pursue the javelin, shot put and discus. Many of the district records would be very easy to break with some proper training and practice.
I believe God gives us things, such as sports, to be used as a way of learning about the deeper things in life like faith. A person does not wake up one morning ‘spiritual and complete’ – it takes trial and error, practice, sacrifice of things you would probably rather be doing otherwise, team work and a lot of coaching or discipling. The Apostle Paul made reference to ‘running the race’ in several of his letters. Check these out:

1 Corinthians 9:24-27
24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run,
but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.
25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training.
They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a
crown that will last forever.
26 Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly;
I do not fight like a man beating the air.
27 No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have
preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

Acts 20:24 24 However, I consider my life worth nothing to me,
if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus
has given me-- the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace.

Hebrews 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great
cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the
sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance
the race marked out for us.

This next one is significant.
2 Timothy 4:7 7 I have fought the good fight,
I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Paul was imprisoned in Rome under Nero during the persecution of the Christians.
Soon after Paul penned these words, according to tradition, he was beheaded on the Ostian Way, west of Rome.
May we all be, in part, as Paul was. Desiring to finish the race that Christ had laid out for him. We all have different parts to play on the team with the same goal in mind - to live for God and to make Him known to others.
God bless you today as you "run the race set before you".
George

No comments: